Saturday, June 11, 2011

Our owner is pretty awesome

Ever since I worked at hmm, let's call it Schmario's in Schmalveston, Shmexas, I have had an irrational fear of restaurant owners. The owner of Schmario's, who we will call Schmohnny Schmecca, was quite simply a dick. More accurately, he was a gigantic ego with a tiny dick. Employees were not seen as the people who kept his shit going and made him money. We were seen as scum, basically, practically his property. I can't count the number of times he screamed at me over trivial things. Or the times he brought 12 of his family members in to eat and didn't tip me for waiting on them. In fact, once his mom slipped me a 20 and he made me give it back! "I'm already paying you!" he would say. Grr.

The owner of the place I work now is definitely not like that. He is so nice and approachable, and he gets in there and helps when we are slammed. And not just expediting or getting behind the line to just yell and be a dick to compensate for his tiny penis like Schmohnny used to do, he actually does things that Schmohnny would think were beneath him.

Example, last night I was delivering a buttload of things to my tables, which included a to-go order of black beans and rice. Well, I had a clumsy moment and dropped the bag, which caused the little cup of beans to become a bean bomb and explode everywhere. The owner was standing there when it happened. Forgetting myself, I said, "S, could you grab me another to-go order of black beans?" Now, if I had addressed The Almighty Schmecca that way, he would have screamed at me in front of the customers and refused to get it. Or if he did get it, he would have grumbled and bitched at me for wasting $.05 worth of beans or whatever.

S didn't even blink, he ran back to the kitchen and got me what I needed. Then while I was delivering more stuff to my tables he cleaned up the spilled beans. I just thought that was kind of awesome. If you want to instill teamwork in your team, you have to be the example, and S definitely is.

I don't think Schmecca has cleaned anything ever in his entire pampered life. Do I sound bitter? Yeah, I probably am.

No comments:

Post a Comment