Thursday, June 16, 2011

Wish me luck

I'm going to apply for a new job today. We went to eat there last night so I could scope it out, and I think it will be much better.

The reasons are many, but the main reason is that my current place is just too slow and usually overstaffed for any money to be made. The patrons are cheap, and eat there because it's cheap, and they aren't looking for a dining experience like I'd like to provide; they are just looking for someone to slap a hot plate in front of them and get the fuck out of their way. I can't tell you how awkward and embarrassing it is for me when I try to engage people in conversation or suggest items and they just scowl at me like "What the fuck are you doing? I know what I want. Get out of my fucking face."

Not to mention, the last Wednesday that I worked, I went home with eight fucking dollars. Fuck. That.

The place we went last night was pretty busy for a Wednesday. Our server's section was filled up by us and at least one other table while we were there. Our bill for two people was about what a six-top's would be at my current place.

And the best part? The new place doesn't have tortillas, so there is no tortilla grill for me to slave over cleaning at the end of the night. Hopefully the sidework required wherever I end up will be appropriate and not give the appearance of what I suspect is going on where I work now: the kitchen manager realized that waitstaff is CHEAP labor, so we do all the stuff that kitchen staff does in a normal not-trying-to-fuck-waitstaff-in-the-ass restaurant.

2 comments: